Sunday, April 22, 2012

Wonderful Half Marathon Experience!


When I signed up for the half marathon I was thinking I might be a little crazy (well half crazy as they say). When it came time to actually begin the 12 week training plan I found, I was still working a weekend job and it just took everything out of me to work 7 days a week. I was tired all the time and I was not happy. I was especially not motivated to run a whole lot! The first three weeks I was just not doing everything right. I had heard about running for 3 minutes and then walking 1 minute. That seemed ok at first. I'm sure it's a great way for anyone to run a race especially a very long distance. But I just felt like I wasn't really getting much out of it. Since I had skipped the first 3 weeks of actual training I looked to see how you train in 8 or 9 weeks. I found this training schedule from Fitness Magazine. I followed it pretty closely. I really enjoyed swimming for cross training.
While I was not really into the training, I thought how in the heck am I going to complete this 13.1 miles?? After I ran 5 miles I was getting more confidence. I met two girls at a 10k that were running a half marathon the same weekend as mine. We did our long runs together. It helped so much! I don't know how I would have stuck with it on my own! The 8 mile run was the hardest as crazy as that sounds! I was sore all over my body for about 3 days! After that it was my knees and ankles that would be very sore and my body would get stiff after sitting for too long. Before the 5 miles and meeting friends to run with I really had my doubts. But I continued to tell myself I could do it!


Some things that helped along the way especially for long runs
Garmin forerunner gives pace, time, miles and heart rate
energy shot bloks (the black cherry flavor is my favorite) there are other types of chews or gels at dick's sporting goods by the registers
I really like running in shorts, but for the long distance unfortunately chafing is something many people experience. These little pants are great for running, light weight and nothing rubbing together lol! These are by Champion at Target-Cardio Capris.

Preparing for the big day!
I constantly thought positively about the race and envisioned myself finishing! I looked up tips and what to eat and all that jazz. It got exciting each weekend after my long runs. The higher the miles got the better I felt and I knew I could do it! Based on my training for the long runs I thought a good goal was 2 hours and 30 minutes. I ran slower with the girls I met for the long runs, I also wanted to be able to last the whole time. But I almost thought 2 hours and 30 minutes was a little too ambitious after some of my long runs!

I tried to eat very healthy carbs for my carb loading the night before
I also drank powerade and plenty of water throughout the day
grilled veggies in a foil pack


Finally the day of the race came!
 In the morning I had oatmeal and half a banana with dab of peanut butter on each slice. I sipped on a half a glass of water the whole ride there... which was about an hour and ten minutes! We got there pretty early because I had to pick up my packet since it was so far away (the line was long!). After I got my packet and got ready I only had about 20 minutes before the race started. I thought I would try to use the restroom, but there were about 30 porta potty's with lines of over 50 people at each one. I didn't feel like I really had to go. Luckily there were stops along the way. I waited til I was about halfway through and there was no line before I went to the potty! (didn't want to add too much time to the clock!!)
 All ready to go! I barely grabbed that jacket before we left.I knew it was cold before we left, but it was so cold and windy when we got there!!!
And after I crossed the finish line! I look a little different... very tired looking. But I was so happy!!
The little clif shot bloks helped! I had 2 before the race, 1 between mile 4-5 and 2 more around miles 9-10!

2 hours and 23 minutes was my time!!! My pace stayed between 10-11 minutes/mile. I was so surprised! For a while I was running right at 10 minutes/mile!
The time seemed to go by really fast, but when I thought back to the beginning it seemed like forever ago!
{I ditched the jacket around mile 10 thinking it would be easy to find, but I didn't know my way around the course or the town... so it's gone forever}
Since we were in downtown Lawrence we went looking for a good restaurant. We stopped at a breakfast/brunch/lunch type of place. Nothing really sounded good to anyone so we waited until 11 for some other places to open. I had plenty of drinks (:
 coffee and mimosa were good!
 {cheers to me!}

we wanted pizza but the place still wasn't open so we went to a burger place and then had a cupcake at a little bakery! we looked at lots of little shops and kept me moving for a while. I got really stiff after the long ride home! then I laid down for a nap and when I was barely able to move when I got up!

I'm ready for some 13.1 gear!
 


I will definitely run another half marathon.. it made me feel like I can accomplish anything I set my mind to
so maybe... just maybe I can do a full marathon someday!

Thanks to all for the well wishes and support!!! This has made me feel very empowered!



No comments:

Post a Comment