Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Half Marathon Training!

Am I crazy?? Apparently I'm only half crazy for doing only half of a marathon! I only know one person that has done one and she gave me some great advice. There's a method to the madness of running that many miles! Run three minutes and walk one minute. I have been training that way for the past few weeks and I feel like I could just keep on running. I have already ran my longest distance (6 miles) and felt like I could continue both times! I am running a steady pace of a 8-10 minute mile. I wondered if the walk breaks would slow me down.. but nope!


I also thought since I only knew one person that had ran a half marathon that maybe there weren't that many crazies out there! But when I first went to register for the Rock The Parkway half marathon in Kansas City... it was at capacity. I couldn't register, 4,500 people already registered! I also see the bumper stickers now 13.1 or 26.2! Look for them! There are plenty of crazies out there!
I might like to have this one!

I luckily found another half marathon just a week after the Rock The Parkway one. I signed up for the Kansas Half Marathon (a benefit for health care access clinic). It's in Lawrence.. not too far. I really wanted to sign up for it, because I was afraid if I didn't do it when I planned to that I might not end up doing it.

 I've got about 12 weeks to get ready!


I have always wanted to be a runner. I like how I can always get better at running. I'm not very sporty/athletic or coordinated... so I feel like I'm good at something as a runner. In the past I would run pretty regularly for a while, but then I would hurt my ankles or my shins. Sometimes I would just get out of the habit of it for one reason or another and it would be hard to get back into. For the past year I have been running pretty much routinely (and I haven't hurt myself!). I haven't felt like I have gotten out of the habit of it for very long periods of time. I have been able to get right back to the distance I was last running pretty quickly. I ran my first 5k last June and did another one in September. In December I was looking for some runs to do again in 2012. I wondered how long it would take to train for a half marathon, I found some 12 week training schedules. I was like ok.. maybe I can do it. I have put my mind to it and it may just become a new hobby and something that really helps me stay in shape and keep up with the running! I know there was a half marathon last October in Kansas City, so maybe in April and October I can run half marathons. I see that the next step up is a marathon (26.2 miles) and then tri athalon... but I don't know if I'll get that crazy!

I just got this super cute hand stamped metal cuff bracelet.

What I need!!!

my cute little stop watch


two really great pairs of running shoes! I like my Adidas and Asics!

A TRAINING SCHEDULE

I need a case with a clip for my ipod!!!
AND a music play list! I'll take any suggestions!

places to run!
I really like running at Railroad Park, and I run at the school tracks, and if it's too cold.. too hot I run at the indoor track at my gym. I'm glad the weather has been so decent. I have been able to run outside for most of my training already (in January!) I enjoy a summer run in the rain or at sunset. I only run at night if my hubby watches me (:

SUPER CUTE T-SHIRTS!
I would like this shirt for my training


this is the shirt I want for the race!

I would proudly wear this shirt after the race!

I'm pretty sure running 13.1 miles is the perfect excuse to be able to eat some of these cookies 'n cream oreo fudge brownies I've been wanting to try forever! I just know if I made something like this I would eat way too many of them! I burn about 820 calories running for an hour... let's multiply that by 2.5! I think running for 2 1/2 hours will burn about 2000 calories! So I can have more than one brownie if I want (:

Wish me luck! I know it's crazy but I'm super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment